ALBUM EXCHANGE: Double Trouble!

 


This week, the album exchange returns with a double-sized episode! That's right, this time the show that talks about stuff on purpose is talking about 4 albums instead of two! This time around, the albums are 1999's Supergrass by English alt. rockers Supergrass, 2008's Death Magnetic by heavy metal legends Metallica, 2001's Toxicty by the superb System Of A Down, and 2021's In Standard Definition by Canadian glam rock master Art d'Ecco! Which of these albums will rise above and join the coveted TRAPPO Essentials Can(n)on, and which will fall by the wayside and be forgotten in the fullness of time? I'm not spoiling anything here! You can find the embed below, or check us out on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Anchor and Spotify, so choose your own adventure and rock your socks off!

 


While you're here, why not join the conversation? Tell us what you think about our picks by leaving a comment below, visiting our official Instagram feed or sending us an email! We'd love to hear from you, and your thoughts may be read in a future episode of the show!

And before you leave, don't forget that we're building the ultimate B-52's mixtape, and we need your help! Just follow this link to the official discussion page and leave a comment nominating your favorite songs from the legendary B-52's! We're accepting submissions until March 1st, and your contributions will help build the greatest B-52's mixtape ever curated! So get on that before you run out of time and miss the chance to get your favorite tracks from Athens, Georgia's second favorite (but first in our hearts) local band into the TRAPPO Essentials Can(n)on!

Thanks for listening, and we'll see you next time!

Comments

  1. System Of A Down and Supergrass I can get behind. Those two albums should be celebrated. But pissing all over Death Magnetic? That might be the single best Metallica album of the 21st century. That Was Just Your Life, The End Of THe Line and Broken, Beat and Scarred are fist pumping thrashers, and you call them boring? Come on, you can't be serious. Calling Load your favorite Metallica album? You maybe shouldn't be reviewing Metallica albums if that's your baseline, dude. You've clearly never been in a pit, my man, otherwise you'd know better. And I don't know how you can lose your mind over that soft Art d'Ecco stuff? I just can't get into it. Sounds Whiny, but that's just me. I'm not trying to rock any boats here, but I guess I'm just not a glam rock person. That pretty boy veneer has never moved my needle. I like stuff that gets my heart pounding. Different strokes, TRAPPO. But it's all cool.


    Follow your dreams, TRAPPO! Keep TRAPPO going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only heard Toxicity and Death Magnetic, and I really only like Toxicity. A lot of my friends don't like System of a daown because they think the lyrics sound like gibberish and they just dismiss it all, but you two really helped articulate how I always felt about the band and i appreciate that a lot. Toxiciy is probably their best album, and I wish these guys could get their shit together and put some new music out, because it's been way too damn long.

    I remember Death Magnetic sounding way too loud and overprocessed on the CD i owned, and now I know why. The controversy of that whole thing went right by me, so I just thought it sounded like shit because that's what they were looking for. I still haven't listened to it again, but if i do, it will be the digital version on Amazon Music, but I just don't know when that will be because I wasn't that thrille dwith the album anyway. You made the right choice saving the songs you did, but I would have gone a step further and saved Cyanide too, because it's pretty solid shit.

    I've put the other two records on my to-listen list, and based on your praise I'm really looking forward to them. The clips in the episode really sold me, so when I do listen to them I might come back and share my thoughts. I truly can't believe there was never some stoner rock band back in thr1970s called Supergrass. It just seems like such an easy choice. How did everybody miss that back then? It was right there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Supergrass self-titled album doesn't work for me. Mary is the only real standout to my ear. In It For The Money is the band's high water mark. It's been diminishing returns ever since. I respect your opinions, but you gotta review In It For The Money soon. It's just a tighter more cogesive whole.

    I'm okay with the other picks, really. Death Magnetic shouldn't be anyone's favorite Metallica album. But saying Load is their best? I gotta agree with the other guy, it's a real suspect choice, brother. It's not a terrible album, but it is a terrible Metallica album. They cut their hair, mellowed out and followed that 90's alternative money. They sold out, chasing a sound they had no business dabbling in. It's cringe. And they never really fully recovered from that mistake. Nothing they've made since has that magic that their earlier stuff had. They keep trying to recapture that spark, but it fizzled out when the band cut their hair in 1996, like Sampson, losing their power and getting fucked over by trying to attract the flannel shirt crowd who were still smarting from the death of Kurt Cobain. It's sad, really, but they deserve it for trying to color outside the lines. They got greedy and they paid for it.

    I've never been a huge System Of A Down fan, but even I'll recognize the power of Toxicity. That album is a fucking banger. I will disagree about you saying the lyrics weren't hitting you over the head with their message, because sometimes they're beating you with a fucking club with the word "message" etched into its well-worn girth. Prison Song is a prime example. Just look the lyrics up and tell me they're being subtle. I'm not complaining, just making an observation. Sometimes beating you senseless with a message is a necessary thing, especially with music that aggressive and memorable. But the album's a thumbs up from me, big time. And yes, Needles is "about" a tapeworm, but it's heroin. It's just a metaphor for heroin. What colorful language. A tapeworm talking to you, a slimy parasite. That reminds me of Brain Damage, the movie with the worm that gets you high by injecting blue KoolAid into your brain and eats people's brains. WHat a trip.

    I'm not gonna say anything bad about Art D=eco because I know that music's just not my jam. It;'s not bad and I'm glad it has its fans, but I just don't know if I can ever be one. Cool that you like it, and it's your cannon, so load it up with whatever you want. Just please don't put Load in there. You'll make metal Jesus cry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment