Requested Music: The (MAX) Power Station! (Poll Closed)

 


(The poll is officially closed, and Second Line by Dawn Richard has officially been inducted into the TRAPPO Essentials Can(n)on! Thanks for voting, everyone! -D)

We're back! And on today's massively anticipated episode of TRAPPO, we're tackling a whole mess of recent music suggested by some of you dear, dear listeners, in a delightful show we're calling The (MAX) Power Station, because the majority of the albums discussed were suggested by dear friend of the show Max Power. Don't think we're playing favorites here, even though we sort of are. We're really just trying to encourage the rest of you folks to up your game a little bit. This show lives and dies on your suggestions, if we're being completely honest. We love hearing from you, and we always greatly appreciate your recommendations, so keep 'em coming. Kick things up a notch, friends, and maybe one day you'll have your own episode of the show that talks about stuff on purpose, dedicated to your musical picks. Don't count on that, because we're fickle creatures who follow our own muse, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Albums discussed in this episode include: Colorblind by the mysterious Silvi Luv, honeybee table at the butterfly feast from teen suicide, GHOSTS ON TAPE by Blood Red Shoes, Second Line from Dawn Richard, Night Walker / Death Waltz from Ghost Funk Orchestra, and the epic The Resurrection Of Lilith by Defacing God. You can listen below, or find us on Apple, Google, Pocket Casts, RadioPublic, Spotify, Spotify for Podcasters (which is the unholy abomination Anchor has become) and Amazon, so choose your own adventure and join us on this meandering musical journey...



And here's an embedded version of Second Line for your convenient listening pleasure!



And while you're here, we have a burning question for you: have you ever seen a monster? We're talking about cryptids. and we want to hear from you! Have you ever crossed paths with Bigfoot, the Jersey Devil, or the Loch Ness Monster? Are there any spooky legendary beasts roaming the wilderness around your old stomping grounds? Tell us all about it right here! We're working on a special episode of the show, and we can't make it happen without your input! We're accepting submissions until March 31st, so if you've got any sordid cryptid tales to tell, we'd love to hear them!

By the way, there's a conversation going on right now, at this very moment, and we want you to be a part of it. Just leave a comment below, sharing your thoughts on the music we've discussed on this latest episode, and leave some suggestions for future episodes. Of course, if you happen to be feeling a little more verbose, you're always welcome to send us a heavy fucking email, which we always appreciate. Let's keep this conversation train rolling along, friends, until we jump the fucking tracks and careen into a bottomless abyss of madness!

Thanks for listening, and thanks for voting!

Comments

  1. Anonymous Meat SackMarch 20, 2023 at 9:41 PM

    Jocelyn has given birth to a beautiful bouncing baby girl, with ten perfect fingers and ten perfect toes, and she’s got her mommy’s 90s alt singer/songwriter vibes and it’s giving me Lilith Fair flashbacks and I’m just crazy in love with this stuff and I want you TRAPS to know all about it because you’re asking for recommendations and here it is!

    It’s Jocelyn’s Baby. That’s the name of the band. They’re from Australia, and they may remind you of some of those soft-spoken, acoustic guitar strumming, female-fronted outfits from the age of Blockbuster Video and Crystal Pepsi, but they’ve got a twangy, modern thing going on that grabs me by the earlobes and gives them a wicked little twist that stings in just the right way I like so much. The album’s called Are You Listening? So are you listening? You should be. To Jocelyn’s Baby.

    Look, I enjoy this music and I don’t want you bastards giving me any shit over that. It’s good. People who can’t admit this music is good are all cowards who are too afraid to reveal their true feelings, and they deserve nothing but scorn and derision. So what if they’re Australian? We shouldn’t hold that against them. It’s not their fault they were born in the wrong hemisphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About a week ago, a friend of mine sent me a YouTube link to a music video for a song called "Black Sunrise" from some band I've never heard of called Phantom Elite, because he thought "it looked like anime", and I guess that's all it takes for him to recommend shit to me. To his credit, I thought the video was cool, and the song was really evocative and catchy. I'm not generally a fan of most so-called "progressive" or "melodic" metal. The stuff tends to sound too manufactured, for lack of a better term, like it's rolling off an assembly line. There's not enough life in this stuff, not enough raw emotion. I can admire the technical feats I hear in the music, but it usually leaves me feeling unfulfilled. But this song "Black Sunrise" just stuck with me. After a few days, I looked up Phantom Elite and listened to the album "Blue Blood" (Black Sunrise was a single from the album) and, much to my shock and surprise, I loved it. And "Black Sunrise", the song that wouldn't leave my brain, is one of the weaker tracks on the damn album. I don't know if my great enjoyment of "Blue Blood" will lead to a greater appreciation of melodic metal in general (probably not), but I'm gonna check out everything else Phantom Elite's done, that's for sure. I'm saying you lovely TRAPS should check out Phantom Elite. It's better than In This Moment, and that shit's somehow in your CANON.

    And I thought "Second Line" was awesome, for the record.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about Warren Zevon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. STOP CELEBRATING BLASPHEMY! DON’T REWARD SIN! BE BETTER CITIZENS AND BE MORE MORAL HUMAN BEINGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw John Wick 4 and it was fucking awesome! It might be the best of the whole series, and Donnie Yen almost steals the show! TRAPPO maybe should do a John Wick-isode! Some of the best action movies of the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found this podcast through Dungeon Weed's Facebook page. I clicked a link and listened to two nerds ramble about The Eye Of The Icosahedron for an hour, and I liked it. I don't listen to every episode, because I don't have the time for all this shit, but I pop in every now and then when I see a topic that sounds interesting. I liked this episode because it introduced me to a bunch of fucking weird music that I'm actually enjoying. Thanks for that. Teen Suicide's record is nuts and I'm into it. So good.

    I have friends who have more eclectic musical tastes than my own, because I'm more of a metalhead than anything, but I always try to keep an open mind. Their recommendations tend to keep me from just listening to Black Majesty and Gatekeeper all the time, and that's a good thing. One of my pals just sent me a text with a picture of a young woman in a stylized pose with what appear to be wings of water emerging from her back, and nothing else but a Bandcamp link. I didn't know what the hell this was, but I checked it out.

    It's a record called YIAN from a lady called Lucinda Chua. I don't know what the fuck is going on here. It ain't metal, that's for damn sure. What do I call this music? It's soft and beautiful and hazy. Whatever that is. YIAN is about as far from my musical comfort zone as it usually gets for me, and this bullshit made me cry. I don't know what this is. I don't know who Lucinda Chua is or what's going on in her life. But this record is just amazing. I had a dream two nights ago after listening to YIAN. I saw two golden suns rising over an endless graveyard, and the souls of the dead ascended into the sky as the twin suns rose overhead while the song "Ocean" seemed to be carried on the breeze, swirling all around me. I was overcome with emotion and fell to my knees, and when I woke up I felt like I'd witnessed something profound. This dream haunts me. What does that have to do with anything? How the fuck should I know? I'm not a psychologist.

    I'm not a poet. I don't have the words to describe this shit to you clowns. But aliens are going to jerk off to this shit. That's a guarantee, TRAPPO. They probably already are. Maybe you guys need to jerk off to this shit. I don't know. I just want you to experience the magic.

    TRAPPING FOR DAYS

    ReplyDelete
  7. You fucking people seem to like noisy electronic stuff that sounds like it's going somewhere but is really just wasting your time, so here's something that's probably right up your alley. I listened to a record called Gisela from somebody named Noia the other day. I thought it was lame, but you freaks will probably be all over it. There's a recommendation. Waste your lives listening to more garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you looking for a soundtrack to the inevitable end of the world, my TRAPS? If so, then you're in luck, because I've got just the thing for you! A relatively obscure doom metal outfit from exotic Brazil known as THE EVIL has returned from an extended hiatus to drop an epic meditation on our self-inflicted demise called SEVEN ACTS TO APOCALYPSE, and it's fucking badass. The record is presented as seven songs, each encompassing one of the deadly sins that is hastening our destruction, and what a harrowing journey this is. Aggressive, nihilistic and exquisite, SEVEN ACTS TO APOCALYPSE is definitely an early contender for album of the year for me. Will TRAPPO buy the ticket and take the ride into the fires of hell? You should. Don't be cowards. Embrace THE EVIL. Your Sires command you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A bunch of nerds are pissing themselves over all the “problems” in a Mario Brothers movie right now. They’re mad because it’s not completely faithful to the staggering lore of the video games, or because Mario doesn’t sound like a high-pitched cultural stereotype. Meanwhile all the kids are losing their minds because the movie looks like fun. Who’s right? The middle-aged nerds who are disturbingly committed to a property made for children, or the children who just want to have a good time for a few hours in a miserable world that increasingly caters to angry, middle-aged nerds who never bothered to actually grow up?

    We’ve got assholes crying on Twitter because Martin Scorsese may have made a four-hour movie, and that’s too long! But they’ll binge-watch ten hours of hot garbage on Netflix on a random Saturday, because they’re bored, and apparently Stranger Things is just SO GOOD, YOU GUYS!

    I hate this tribal fandom bullshit. If you don’t have the attention span to watch “The Irishman”, but you can binge every Star Wars show on Disney+, you can go straight to hell. I’ve got no time for this crap.

    Stop whining about it, nerds! Life’s too short. The Mario movie wasn’t made for you. Stop sucking your thumb and try cutting your own food for a change. We’re all gonna be dead soon, so stop pissing and moaning and just have the decency to shut up and leave the rest of us good people alone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The whole episode just pisses in its own face with all the "misoginy this, misoginy that" at the end. Defacing God is apparently some whiny woke black metal. And you clowns are drinking the kool=aid. Patriarchy is evil! The devil is good! What a bunch of dumbass nonsense. Go get your balls clipped off and put them in your mommy's purse, clowns.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment